- Heredity – The most common cause of hair loss is heredity and runs in the family.
- Medical condition – Certain diseases or medicines can trigger hair loss from your body.
- Stress or trauma triggered externally as well as internally can result in hair loss.
What is alopecia or hair loss?
Hair loss is medically known as alopecia. It can affect some areas partially or complete scalp and can be localized on scalp or even generalized on entire body. Many people develop a round or oval bald patch due to alopecia. Alopecia is caused when body’s immune system attacks its hair follicles resulting in abnormal hair loss. It occurs slowly and becomes pronounced in a few years.
What are the causes of hair loss?
What are the various treatment options for hair loss?
There are certain USFDA approved topical medicines that are known for re-growing the lost hair in specific cases of alopecia. These medicines can treat pattern baldness or Androgenic Alopecia.
An over the counter medicine that comes in the form of foam or liquid in 2% and 5% composition and can treat male pattern baldness effectively. Only 2% minoxidil solution is approved for women by USFDA. It is a kind of vasodilator drug and is applied directly on the affected areas by rubbing.
It is a prescription drug approved for use in men only. It is an oral medicine and must be taken as prescribed by dermatologist.
Dutasteride – It is approved for usage when suffering from hair loss.
One of the most advanced and effective treatment or certain kinds of hair loss is PRP or platelet rich plasma therapy. It is a natural treatment for hair loss where blood is taken out from the patient’s body (arms in most cases) and is put to centrifuge. Centrifuge separates the blood and only platelet rich plasma is extracted from there. This PRP is activated and injected back at the affected areas of the scalp to trigger hair re-growth. This is a therapeutic treatment where-in the dormant hair follicles are infused with activated PRP to trigger natural hair regrowth and regeneration.
What are the different types of hair loss?
The most common types of alopecia or hair loss are
When immune system of the body attacks its own hair follicles of specific areas thus disturbing hair growth in that region. It is often linked with autoimmune disorders and has hereditary causes underneath.
A common type of hair loss in men and women where pattern of hair loss is seen. It is thus also know as male patterned hair loss or female patterned hair loss. In men it affects the crown and temple region causing shrinking or receding hairline or thinning of hair in the region. A U-shaped pattern of hair loss is seen on the scalp and may result in complete baldness with time.
Alopecia Universalis and Trichotillomania
Alopecia Universalis – Most severe form of hair loss resulting in complete baldness all over the body.
Trichotillomania – A disorder where individuals pull their hair unknowingly causing visible hair loss.
It is an autoimmune disorder that causes hair loss only on the scalp. It is a condition between Alopecia Areata and Alopecia Universalis. It can occur quickly resulting in complete hair loss on scalp or slowly as patchy hair loss on the scalp.
Any damage to hair follicle due to pulling or tension caused on the hair is called traction alopecia. It is seen in people who tie their hair tightly in the same way everyday. The tension or stress causes the hair to fall from particular areas.
- Hair loss beyond the normal range of 100-150 strands of hair everyday
- Consistent or increasing hair fall over the above normal rate
- Sudden hair loss or visible balding
- Circular, U-shaped or patchy bald spots
- Full body hair loss
- Too many hair strands on the pillow seen every morning
- Thinning of hairline from crown or temple region
- People with a history of hair loss in family
- Sudden weight loss due to medical or non-medical reasons
- Thyroid, cancer or arthritis medicines
- Stress or extreme pulling of hair
- Diagnosis by a trichologist or hair specialist
- Blood test for identifying the underlying health condition
- Hair pull test by pulling a dozen hair strands to see if they come out
- Microscopic test by dermatologists using a special device called Trichoscan
The cost of hair loss treatment varies based on treatment types and severity of hair loss. The number of sessions for one or combination of treatments may be prescribed based on your condition. With Dermiq you can be rest assured that best quality treatments will be administered at affordable price that are competitive in the region.
Why Dermiq for hair loss treatment?
Dermiq brings world-class treatments and expert dermatologists to help treat hair loss by reversing it and triggering natural hair re-growth. Our treatments are guided by stringent protocols and we follow highest levels of hygiene and care for our clients. We bring best treatments at affordable prices in your city.