Under usual circumstances, healthy people lose about 100 strands of hair per day. Hair follicles have a cycle of active growth, transition, and rest. When your hair’s growth cycle is normal and atypical, new strands grow and take the place of the ones that you have shed organically.
However, when your hair’s usual growth cycle is disrupted and you shed more strands and fewer or none grow back, you begin to experience hair loss, technically known as alopecia. There are various types of hair loss and it can affect men, women and children. Some people lose hair from their heads, whereas a small section loses hair from their entire body.
Abnormal hair loss can be a debilitating condition for many. People who experience excessive hair loss experience a sharp decline in self-confidence and self-esteem. Therefore, if you are facing hair fall in the form of bald spots, patchiness or large clumps of hair falling out, it is essential to opt for a prompt hair loss treatment in Hyderabad. In addition, there are steps you can follow to minimize hair loss and control its magnitude.
What Causes Hair Loss?
One of the most common causes of hair loss is genetics. Hereditary hair loss becomes more common in men and women with age. The second most common cause of hair loss is telogen effluvium – a condition wherein more of your hair enters the rest cycle, during which your hair strands fall out excessively.
Telogen effluvium can be a result of several underlying conditions, such as –
- Side effects of medications and treatments like chemotherapy
- Additional underlying health problems
Other conditions that can cause hair loss are –
- Fungal infections on the scalp
- Hairstyles that pull the hair tightly, such as braids, tight ponytails, hair extensions
- Hormonal changes
- Nutritional deficiencies, especially not getting enough iron or protein
Now that we know what causes hair loss, let us look into the various ways by which you can reduce hair loss.
How to Reduce Hair Loss – A Dermat-Recommended Guid
- Be Gentle With Your Hair
One of the simplest yet incredibly effective ways of reducing and managing hair loss is by being gentle with your locks. When you wash and condition your hair, make sure that you are doing it without causing any trauma to the strands and the follicles. Some of the steps that trichologists and dermatologists recommend to patients with hair loss are –
- Use a Gentle Shampoo – Some shampoos can be harsh, stripping moisture from your hair. So, use a gentle shampoo free of sulfates, parabens, and phthalates.
- Use a Moisturizing Conditioner – When you coat a good-quality conditioner on your hair strands, there is less breakage and split ends.
- Use a Leave-in Conditioner or Detangler – After washing your hair, use a leave-in conditioner or detangler to reduce breakage, split ends, and frizz.
- Wrap Your Locks in a Microfibre Towel to Dry It Quickly – This step reduces the time you spend in blow drying and also lessens wet breakage
2. Use Over-the-counter Medications
The second step to reduce hair loss is by opting for over-the-counter medications and applying them to the scalp. Minoxidil or Rogaine is usually the first course of treatment for hair thinning.
3. Let Go of Chemical and Coloring Procedures
Chemically treating your hair with methods like bleaching can damage your hair by splitting the protein molecules known as keratin. Likewise, avoid at-home hair coloring, chemical straightening, perming, etc. Lastly, limit the use of peroxide treatments if hair loss is bothering you.
4. Avoid Tight Hairstyles That Pull on the Hair
Of course, a supertight, Ariana Grande-style ponytail looks absolutely fabulous and you might feel like a diva donning the look. However, such a hairstyle can be extremely damaging. Remember that your hair can only be stretched so much before it becomes permanently damaged.
So, if hair loss is your concern, avoid hairdos like tight braids, high ponytails and cornrows, as they can pull your hair away from the scalp and loosen the bond between your locks and the scalp.
5. Say No to Heat Styling
Another simple yet powerful way to manage hair loss is by avoiding heat. Using heat to style your locks can leave the hair follicles dehydrated and susceptible to damage. Thus, keep hair dryers, straighteners, and curling irons out of sight when hair loss is bothering you.
6. Opt for a Specialized Hair Loss Treatment in Hyderabad
Last but not least, you should visit a reliable and experienced hair clinic in Hyderabad to amend the root cause of your hair loss. A professional trichologist can offer expert advice on why you are experiencing extreme hair loss while providing a viable solution.
Wrapping It Up
So, there we have it, a crisp overview of the five simple yet powerful steps you can follow to reduce hair loss. In conclusion, understanding the factors behind hair loss is crucial, and taking proactive steps is essential. Dermiq, a trusted name in hair care, emphasizes gentle hair care practices, recommends over-the-counter medications, and advises against damaging chemical treatments, tight hairstyles, and heat styling. For a comprehensive solution, consider a specialized hair loss treatment in Hyderabad at Dermiq to address the root cause and restore your confidence in your locks.