- Do not shave, wax, or use epilator to remove body hair at least 2 weeks before the session
- Stop retinoid, pigmentations creams, acid-based cosmetics at least 5 days before your treatment, or as suggested by your dermatologist
Unwanted hair treatment – Laser Hair Removal
Permanent hair reduction and removal of unwanted body hair is one of the most popular treatments in cosmetology. With advanced technologies and extremely precise treatments with over 95% satisfaction of clients, more and more people are opting for Laser Hair Removal over any other traditional or non-traditional method.
What are the preparations and instructions before coming for the LHR procedure?
What happens during laser hair removal treatment?
Laser hair removal is based on the principle of selective photothermolysis, that is controlled beam of laser is passed through the skin, targeting the dark pigment called melanin. The target stem cells get heated and are eventually destroyed. This results in rendering these hair follicles ineffective thus permanent hair reduction. Since lasers can only affect those hair follicles that are in growth or anagen phase of their cycle so multiple sessions are needed.
What to expect during a laser hair removal session?
What happens when laser hair reduction treatment is done?
- Since this is an outpatient procedure you will be given sun-screen to continue with your day’s schedule
- Mild redness can be observed for a few hours soon after the procedure
- Very few people may also see temporary lightening or darkening of the treated skin area but it goes away on its own
- Mild pain or discomfort is also felt in less than 5% of clients but this can be soothed by cold-compress or topical gels
The chances of permanent side effects are extremely rare since USFDA approved laser technology, stringent protocols and highest standards of care and hygiene are maintained by DermiQ staff. Scarring can be seen in 5% of the cases with extremely sensitive skin but they are identified at the patch test stage and necessary precautions are taken.
Since Laser only targets the hair in anagen stage of their cycle so multiple sessions are needed for permanent removal of unwanted hair. The number of sessions also depend upon the thickness & coarseness of hair, sex, areas of body to be treated and other health conditions. Usually 8-12 sessions and few maintenance sessions are recommended for permanent hair removal.
- Do not clean the treated area with hot water for at least 12 hours post procedure
- You may use normal water but the dermatologist will suggest the right time and method of cleaning the area
- Apply cold compress for mild redness which is common soon after the procedure. If you feel anything severe then contact DermiQ
- Avoid excessive sun exposure and use prescribed sun-block cream
- Avoid makeup or perfumes on the treated area of the body for at least 24 hours
- Avoid sauna, steam or workout for at least 24 hours post procedure
- Avoid parlor services for at least 1 week or as suggested by your dermatologist
- Do not use any traditional method of hair removal between 2 sessions, your dermatologist may prescribe best method for the same
- You will see shedding of hair from treated areas within 2-3 weeks post 1st session
- Regrowth occurs 4-6 weeks after the session but you will see the hair thins out and reduces in volume
Spacing between sessions is usually 4-10 weeks but it may vary depending upon your skins response to the previous session